Hallo

> ./configure # libquicktime
> <snip>
> lame:       Missing (Go to http://www.mp3dev.org/)
> libavcodec: Missing (Go to http://www.ffmpeg.org/)
> Alsa        Missing (Go to http://www.alsa-project.org/)
> GPL plugins Disabled
>
> lame is already installed. I assume the above means I need liblame-dev, no?
> Well, where on earth do I get that? ..and so on, and so forth with recursion..
When you want to compile something you need header's. That are now
typically stored in the *-devel *-dev packages. installing the
corseponding devel package should do the trick.

On my system it looke like that:
Configuration:
libdv:      Missing (Go to http://libdv.sourceforge.net)
vorbis:     Yes
lame:       Missing (Go to http://www.mp3dev.org/)
libjpeg:    Yes
libpng:     Yes
libavcodec: Missing (Go to http://www.ffmpeg.org/)
gtk >= 2.4.0: Yes
Alsa        Yes
GPL plugins Disabled

And compiling works well.

> The deeper I get into this the more time I spend.
That's normal, no need to wonder about that ;)
I don't want to think about how long it took till I compiled the first
time the mjpegtools on my MAC.

> > Can you do now a:
> > nm /usr/lib/libquicktime.so.0 | grep lqt_fileno
> > You should get a result back. Here the output looked likes that:
> > 00010b70 T lqt_fileno
> >
> > If you dont get anything back you should try a newer version (0.9.8) of
> > the libquicktime. If that fails the older version.
>
> This is strange:
> $ nm /usr/lib/libquicktime.so.0 | grep lqt_fileno
> nm: /usr/lib/libquicktime.so.0: no symbols
Bad, seems as if they have strip'ed the symbold of the file to save
space some space (about 50kbyte).

> I have second thoughts about using libquicktime now. All I want to do is
> capture, playback and edit with cinelerra. The cinelerra site recommends
> quicktime4linux. It looks like it is not available for Debian. Is
> libquicktime a reasonable alternative and will it work with cinelerra?
The quicktime4linux is not used any more in the mjpegtools.

To find out if the libquicktime can be a replacement lib for
quicktime4linux you have to ask the authors of cinelerra.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard