On 16/01/2008, at 2:28 AM, Christian Ebert wrote:

> * Steven M. Schultz on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 00:48:14 -0700
>> If you're using a PPC and OS/X there is a fantastically high quality
>> workaround for mpeg2enc's current buggy state.
>>
>> The BitVice encoder from:
>>
>>    http://www.innobits.com/
>>
>> works _great_.  Not all the inner tweeking capability I'm used to
>> but the quality has to be seen to believed...

I've used bitVice professionally and I have found it's constraints
too limiting.
Maybe it was just the version I was using.

It couldn't create files less than 2mbit average bit rate.
It would only do 2 passes, couldn't do 1 pass.
It couldn't do constant quality, it would only do average bitrate.
It would only create a constrained mpeg file, the dimensions had to
be 720/704x576/480
It would only read quicktime files.
It couldn't be scripted.

Which was ok for the majority of work the company was doing but when
marketing decided they needed files taken from the web rather than
from our ingest suite.  These limitations started causing problems.

Anyway I've been using the mpeg2 encoder in ffmpeg and have been
happy with the results.  Of course most of my source material is mpeg
4 part 2 so any encoding artefacts I see I blame on the source :-)

ffmpeg can read yuv4mpeg streams from stdin, just incase you don't
know the command line is:

yuvcommand | ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -moreffmpegoptionshere

Mark

“What if Microsoft had designed Windows Vista.”