On 23/05/2008, at 8:03 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to convert a 60fps video stream to true NTSC
> frame
> rate (29.97i). Converting frames to fields to half the frame rate and
> interlace is easy, but it's the shaving off of the 0.1% of the frame
> rate that worries me.
>
> How about yuvmotionfps? Is it good enough to make a smooth
> conversion 60
> --> 59.94?
> Other suggestions?

Frame rate conversion is quite tricky to get exactly right.

There is no exact way to go from one rate to another.

Motionfps tries to estimate what the inbetween frames are based on
estimating how objects are moving across the frame.  However getting
a computer to recognise an object has moved is not an easy task and
mistakes in the estimation can look very strange, a bit like mpeg
file corruption.

The other two ways that I know of are, frame dropping/duplication or
frame blending.

Each have their own benefits and draw backs.

Frame dropping and duplication preserves the sharp images of each
frame but corrupts any smooth motion.

Frame blending preserves the smooth motion, but corrupts any sharp
images.  This is not so much of a problem with video taken from real
scenes. (such as taken with a camera)  However may be rather annoying
with sharp computer generated images.

Neither way is ideal you should look at the results of all different
types of filters and see which one you feel looks best.

By the way I have my own blending framerate converter (yuvaifps)
available on my lavtools site http://silicontrip.net/~mark/lavtools/
index.php#yuvafps

Mark