On 12/06/2008, at 11:23 PM, Mark Heath wrote:

> As you can see here it has attempted to tune for pentium3 and gcc
> spits it over command line options...
>
> I would like to have universal binaries as I do use a mixture of PPC
> and Intel macs.
>
> I am guessing to build universal binaries is going to require some
> serious hacking of the build scripts.  Can anyone help?

I discovered that adding the following option to configure helped this
issue:

--disable-dependency-tracking

Although I still needed to hack the libtool shell script to include
the arguments needed for multiple architecture linking.  And had to
switch the LDFLAGS argument depending on if the makefile was building
an ar library or an executable binary.  But I got there in the end.

It would be nice to be able to automate this into one seamless make.
If anyone is responsible for the Makefile and configure scripts, I'd
like to hear from you to see what we could change to make it build
cleanly.

I now have a shared library build of mjpegutils for OSX intel and ppc,
which links with projects from Xcode!!!

(now all i need is to do the same for ffmpeg's libav, it doesn't
appear to support the --disable-dependency-tracking option)

Mark