On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 21:38 -0700, Steven Boswell II wrote:
> When I use my Canopus ADVC 300 to digitize a 24fps video that's been
> converted to 30fps, I get a DV file that needs yuvkineco run on it in
> order to reverse the telecine.  Experience has shown me that I need to
> pipe the video through "yuvcorrect -T TOP_FORWARD -T
> INTERLACED_TOP_FIRST" before sending it to yuvkineco.  Experience has
> also shown me that I need to hand-edit the file produced by yuvkineco
> (i.e. the one written by the "-C" option) for maximum quality.  But
> that means I need to look at the top-forward version of the video in
> order to resolve ambiguities.
>
> Attached to this letter is a bash script that I use to do that
> top-forward correction on a DV file.  Is there a direct way of doing
> this to a DV file?  The file produced by this script can only be used
> for review, i.e. since there's a DV->raw->DV conversion, I don't want
> to use it for actual video generation.
>
> If there was a direct way of doing top-forward on a DV file, I could
> save a lot of space and time.  Does anyone know of a way?

You do know that DV is a bottom-field-first format and it has no
physical ability to do TFF material?

Now, let me get your process straight here: you have an analog tape
interlaced NTSC material that is really a telecined version of
a progressive 24fps one. Since, AFAIK, NTSC is also a BFF format,
you get the DV stream that corresponds precisely to what's on tape.

At that point you need to reverse telecine. You say that experience
has taught you to reverse the fields order at this point. I wonder
why? Don't the tools handle reverse telecine of NTSC material
properly?

Thanks,
Roman.