It's possible that the connection to the DPR has finally degraded to the
point where wiggling it no longer affects its operation.
At one point when I was having charging issues, I ended up swapping the
regulator for a new one which didn't solve the problem, so I swapped it
again for a old spare I had, which fixed the problem.

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKBn%2Bc4p-oNBQm6VL4W8uBZBYeG_zmLPA1kwH9XmdTGYbLg%40mail.gmail.com.