I had a Yakima rack that I could install on the roof to carry large
objects. Still wasn't a great solution.

I once carried a 3/4" melamine 4x8 sheet of wood. When I tried taking it
down, it sheered off my fender mounted antenna. On another occasion,  I
dropped two roof mounted bikes onto the freeway when the Yakima broke loose
off the top.

My current daily is a B6 Audi A4 Avant. Although it does carry a lot
inside, I'm still hesitant to load fertilizer, potting soil and other
similar items inside of a passenger car.

I've borrowed or rented pick up trucks when I've needed it.

I miss my little 1982 VW pickup.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CAEpuu2OqkA8aVdeEE7yjG5-neTmKegoqwh6wa0UFJwM942k3Hw%40mail.gmail.com.