Once and only once I fit myself, 3 big dudes and our snowboards for the 1/2 hr
trip to our local ski slopes. They complained all the way home about the
exhaust noise, babies.

Another time, I bought one of those K-Mart bike racks, it didn't like the shape
of the GTi's hatch. Only 1 of the bikes was really damaged, at least it was on
an unused back road.

As a side note, for full disclosure, I've had snowboards, sailboards and
surfboards fly off the roof at one time or another. We used to call it
premature ejection. Anyway, I now have a Volvo wagon w/2" hitch and a hitch
bike rack. Snowboards now always travel inside in either car.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/88630B2D-0344-4D22-86BF-CD7C7711779F%40gmail.com.