And just as an FYI, on a 2.0 block, both knock sensors are mounted on the
side of the block which faces the front of the car. And as I recall, the
leads for both sensors come from the firewall in a small vinyl covered
harness that runs by the rear of the head over the top of the bell housing
(more or less).

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKBkhow4yWfGWDH222jc2052J27Z-Y4GmYGkP372nhyC2iw%40mail.gmail.com.