I found out the problem associated to route recalculation not working (well working but only far too late). We currently set the TRE header at 1,3,17 IF we change this over to 1,4,23 route recalculation kicks in at around 25-30m instead of 300-400 (as it happens with 1,3,17 we currently use) on my Vista HCx.

I don't know how this is set because the value introduced with the patch about this seems to be organized differently. I changed this with gmaptool and now it works very well. Would be great if these values could be set directly by mkgmap.