Interesting.  I guess if you could save that state to disk and reload it
then you would have
the equivalent of the Smalltalk image concept. Although it seems like this
would be hard to
be op sys neutral.

It also seems it would help the warmup issue with Hotspot by preloadiing
its counters etc.

I just finished a paper (link below) on JVM startup time which states that
for small programs its around
70ms.  So I assume there is some other startup time you are trying to
improve?  Or is the
paper not applicable to the launching of a new process as you describe it?

I would think that someway to serialize application state would be more
interesting than an
complete clone of java memory and the following restart.  As I recall from
the Smalltalk image
code the big issue was not the threads but was with all of the op sys
handles that need to
be reconstituted.

I look forward to the responses

mark