Thanks John,  don't jump right in to my report. I'll look into it more and
I really don't want to sidetrack you.

I did run with several flag choices ( server, tiered, debug agent ) and
found
only about a 10% difference after I let hotspot stabilize.  I am pretty
sure
I don't have Christian's patch so I look forward to more.  My best setup
is 687/450 vs standard Java. For whatever reason the repeatable slowness
of yesterday is not apparent today.

Is there any way from within ( or from a debug agent ) to tell hotspot to
forget all optimization?

I also see a few of these.

 430   COMPILE SKIPPED: invalid non-klass dependency

 704   COMPILE SKIPPED: out of nodes parsing method (not retryable)  (
server mode )

1623   COMPILE SKIPPED: out of nodes parsing method (retry at different
tier)

I am going to retrace yesterday's setup to see where the 4X slowdown came
from

regards
mark