On Jul 24, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:

> I don't think technically there'd be a difficulty in having it
> work on primitives, it's just that it ain't the intent; you still use
> insertArguments() for uses that are not semantically "bind"s.

MethodHandle.bind is a less-general primitive.  The general API is
insertArguments.

Good 292 support for primitives requires a signature-polymorphic API.

Therefore, we have been considering adding something like this, to fill
functionality not covered by bind and insertArguments:

class MethodHandle {
  /** Binds the given argument(s) to the method handle, but does not invoke it.
   *  Arguments are not boxed, but rather passed in a signature-polymorphic
call.
   *  Requires an exact match to the corresponding leading parameter types.
   *  Returns a method handle which accepts any remaining arguments,
   *  and invokes the original on the combined argument lists.
   *  Equivalent to insertArguments(this, 0, args), but may be more efficient.
   *  Equivalent to this.bind(args[0]), but may be more efficient.
   */
  public final native Object invokePartial(Object… args) throws Throwable;
}

If we do, we will first experiment internally with it (as a non-public API).

— John