On 07/26/2012 11:50 AM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 07/24/2012 11:02 PM, John Rose wrote:
>> On Jul 24, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Attila Szegedi wrote:
>> MethodHandle.bind is a less-general primitive.  The general API is
>> insertArguments.
>>
>> Good 292 support for primitives requires a signature-polymorphic API.
>>
>> Therefore, we have been considering adding something like this, to fill
>> functionality not covered by bind and insertArguments:
> Thanks for thinking forward on this. But let's get back to the original
> issue: inconsistent API between MH.bindTo() and MHs.insertArguments().
> If the latter boxes primitive values, why not to allow the former to do
> the same? Albeit it is not "a good support for primitives", but this is
> the consistency improvement.

The idea that that bindTo() should be used as Attila said when you want
to de-virtualize a method by fixing the receiver to a particular object.
The idea is that when you see bindTo() in a code you know the intent of
the programmer without having to track precisely which parameter is
bound with which value.

> Thanks,
> Aleksey.

cheers,