Hi Martijn,

> Am 09.08.2016 um 00:15 schrieb Martijn Verburg <martijnverb...@gmail.com>:
> Love the overall idea.  A few thoughts (feel free to ignore as I'm by no
> means an expert in the VM).

thank you. As this JEP spans the VM and the libraries, with a definitely
client-facing part in MethodHandles.Lookup, user questions are important. :-)

> * Is there a risk that Gargantuan can expand to infinite size?

There is, as much as there is a risk that infinitely many classes are loaded
dynamically (e.g., via Unsafe.defineAnonymousClass()). Collecting IMs (and the
constants they introduce) is not out of the question, though. Once the method
handle representing an IM can be collected, the IM itself can be, too; and its
constants can unless they are shared.

> * I'm really nervous about the security implications of being able to load an
> arbitrary byte[] that can be executed as a method. I'm hoping that the use of
> the internal Unsafe + Jigsaw's module boundaries makes this secure. Lots of
> really, really smart people have looked at the security implications of this,
> right? :-)

Does Unsafe.defineAnonymousClass() worry you? It allows just this: loading some
byte[] that can be executed as a method - albeit with the added complexity of
it being wrapped in a complete class file.

The choice of MethodHandles.Lookup as the place for loadCode() is deliberate. A
Lookup instance defines a context for visibility and access to other elements,
and the instructions in the byte[] array will be subject to the scrutiny
imposed by the Lookup instance at hand.

People smarter than me will say more about the security implications. This is a
JEP draft. There is no implementation yet, not even a prototype, and there is a
lot to be learned along the way.

> * Gargantuan - Appreciate it's a placeholder but I can't say I like the name,
> it doesn't tell me what it does on the tin.

It's a literary reference that's supposed to imply "large" [1] - could've used
"Gulliver" but he's one of us. ;-)

Best,

Michael

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel

--

 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Dr. Michael Haupt | Principal Member of Technical Staff

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992
München

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V. | Hertogswetering 163/167,
3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697
 <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>     Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment