Hi Jochen,

> Am 13.08.2016 um 12:21 schrieb Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>:
>
> On 13.08.2016 00:54, John Rose wrote:
> [...]
>> Probably the IM is just a faster, more compact way to make something you
>> could also have made by spinning MH's together.  If someone figures out
>> what an IM can do that you can't also do with MethodHandles.* methods,
>> I'm very eager to hear about it.  (And I'll probably want to take it
>> away, or else add a new MHs API point.)  Mainly, an IM gives you control
>> over packaging and backtrace structure.
>
> how would throwing and catching exceptions behave there? Can I do these
> without showing the IM on the trace? Because... unless it got changed in the
> meantime... using a MethodHandle that does catch Exceptions introduces a
> trace element (and quite the speed penalty)

by default IMs should have an appearance in the stack trace. However, it may
make sense to suppress their appearance in cases similar to those that can be
used for LambdaForms (the @Hidden annotation comes to mind). This would depend
strongly on the use case, and exposing this feature might be risky.

Best,

Michael

--

 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Dr. Michael Haupt | Principal Member of Technical Staff

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992
München

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V. | Hertogswetering 163/167,
3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697
 <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>     Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment