Ahh I believe I see it now.

filterArguments starts with the first filter, and wraps the incoming target
handle with each in turn. However, because it's starting at the target, you
get the filters stacked up in reverse order:

filter(target, 0, a, b, c, d)

ends up as

d_filter(c_filter(b_filter(a_filter(target))))

And so naturally when invoked, they execute in reverse order.

This seems I am surprised we have not run into this as a problem, but I
believe most of my uses of filter in JRuby have been pure functions where
order was not important (except for error conditions).

Now in looking for a fix, I've run into the nasty workaround required to
get filters to execute in the correct order: you have to reverse the
filters, and then reverse the results again. This is far from desirable,
since it requires at least one permute to put the results back in proper
order.

Is there a good justification for doing it this way, rather than having
filterArguments start with the *last* filter nearest the target?

- Charlie