IBM implementation uses the left to right order !
I've just tested with the latest Java 8 available.

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 8.0.5.7 - pxa6480sr5fp7-20171216_01(SR5
FP7))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.9, JRE 1.8.0 Linux amd64-64 Compressed References
20171215_373586 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
OpenJ9 - 5aa401f
OMR - 101e793
IBM - b4a79bf)

so it's an implementation bug, #2 seems to be the right solution.

Rémi