I tend to agree with the people who prefer less content on the main page.

However, the real problem with the current approach is that it assumes
that there are "featured article" and "in the news" sections in the
main pages in all languages, and this is wrong. Some languages put
other content under these selectors. It's a hack, but that's how it
is.

So, size can be limited, but more flexibility in describing the
content should be allowed.

--
Amir