You can actually release a total different app under the same version based on
device and OS criteria with Play Store.
http://developer.android.com/google/play/publishing/multiple-apks.html

So you could split the Android app into a full and a Lite version, and just
serve up the Lite version to 2.3 and below devices automatically.

Note that this creates significant overhead in the release process however.
Store releases always are a expensive piece of overhead, making more of them or
more complicated ones should not be underestimated (but is usually quite
constant).

DJ