Jon thanks so much for writing this up and thanks Joaquin for putting it on
the wiki (you beat me to it :))

I'm a little confused to the meaning of "tag impression" -  does it mean
they rendered or that the user saw them?

If the latter...
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Categories_Browse#/media/File:Browse-Views_and_clickthrough.png
suggests that 50% of the time a reader saw a tag (.45% of the time) (there
was a tag impression) they clicked on them (0.18%). Am I misunderstanding
what tag impression means?

Is this a fair summary?:
"When the tags were __visible__ to the user, 30-50% of the time they
clicked through to the "category page". On this page only 40% of visits
resulted in a click to an article in the list.

To me this is significant traffic... especially if made more visible.
I personally would expect normal link traffic to be higher and for this to
be a new source of engagement.

Can we clarify this on the wiki page and in this thread as I fear I'm
misunderstanding something..?

Other questions:
* What was the number of clicks to tags per visit? (were being opening new
tabs or clicking on one?)