Yeah, this was a great read!  Crazy engineering indeed!

We're not going to be implementing a custom networking protocol for our
Android app anytime soon, but for me here are some of the key takeaways
applicable to our app from what Facebook is doing:

-prioritizing keeping the APK slim
-optimizing image size/quality
-optimizing based on the specific "device year class
<https://code.facebook.com/posts/307478339448736/year-class-a-classification-system-for-android/>"
and network connection quality

-m.