Hi Pine,

To be clear, prior to this change, the app widened images in all cases
(regardless of connection quality).  With this change, knowing that a
cellular connection is much more likely to be metered, this will benefit at
least those users.

There's no manual setting to enable/disable image widening, but the user
may still enable/disable images entirely (in Settings) if there are data
cost concerns on whatever network they currently are.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Ok, after exploring this further I think that my question about
> isActiveNetworkMetered() might be complicated enough that I should ask it
> of Google. (: As you probably know, some wifi networks can be slow and/or
> have a pay-per-unit fee or cap, while some cellular connections can include
> "unlimited" data.
>
> Is there a way that a user can manually select whether to enable or
> disable "force downloading and widening HQ images when on a metered
> connection" in the Wikipedia app for Android?
>
> Thanks,
> Pine
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Michael Holloway <
> mhollo...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pine,
>>
>> I followed the Android docs[1] in using the term "metered connection" in
>> the release notes, but in concrete terms, your connection is considered
>> "metered" if you're on a cellular (as opposed to wi-fi) network.[2]
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael
>>
>> [1]
>> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/net/ConnectivityManagerCompat.html#isActiveNetworkMetered(android.net.ConnectivityManager)
>> [2]
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/support/+/refs/heads/master/v4/java/android/support/v4/net/ConnectivityManagerCompat.java#37
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephen,

>>> connection.
>>>
>>> Thank you. May I ask how the app knows if the device is using a metered
>>> connection at any given point in time?
>>>
>>> Pine

Dmitry Brant
Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering