Hi all,

We're excited to bring you an updated version of the Wikipedia Android app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia&hl=en>,
rolling out now to the Google Play Store! [1]. Here are the highlights from
this update (or browse the complete change history
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/APAW/history/master/;r/2.4.183-r-2016-12-08>
):

- Full support for Android 7 (Nougat).
- Support for announcements in the Explore feed.
- Improved system notifications for Wikipedia Zero.
- Home screen widgets are now resizable.
- Improved animations when dismissing/restoring cards in the feed.
- Internal overhaul of network functions for improved performance.
- Numerous fixes for bugs and crashes.

Please note that as of this release, we will no longer provide updates for
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and below, and will only support Android
4.1 (Jelly Bean) and higher.

Special thanks to the volunteer contributors who submitted patches for this
release:

Amir Aharoni (IRC: aharoni, Wikipedia User:Amire80)
Anirudh S (https://github.com/anirudh24seven)
Himanshu Lakhara (https://plus.google.com/+HimanshuLakhara)
Kunal Grover (https://github.com/kunalgrover05)
Odysseas Kristalakos (https://github.com/OdysseasKr)

If you'd like to help improve the app yourself, take a look at our getting
started
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Team/Wikipedia_Android_app_hacking>
guide.
We're looking forward to your contributions!

[1] For devices without Google Play services, you may download
<https://releases.wikimedia.org/mobile/android/wikipedia/stable/wikipedia-2.4.183-releasesprod-2016-12-08.apk>
the
app directly.

Cheers,

--
Dmitry Brant
Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)