Hi Pine,
I believe I answer your questions inline.

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jon, thanks for the explanation. Comparisons between mobile web and the
> mobile app retention rates would indeed be helpful.
>
> Does Wikipedia Zero work only with the apps, or do users also get free
> access to Wikipedia mobile web?

Wikipedia Zero works on *both* apps and mobile web.

> As an editor, I previously found that the Android app was missing many
> features that I wanted, and I found that mobile web editing was difficult
> to accomplish. In the upcoming annual plan for the mobile experience, both
> for apps and mobile web, will there be a focus on improving usability for
> mobile contributors?

So glad you asked as its something I am personally excited about!  A
consultation
on one angle
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Readers_contributions_via_Android>
on this subject is wrapping up on this topic and I will be summarizing the
results shortly--feel free to chime in as it hasn't ended yet. Our Android
app is also exploring a specific approach- editing wikidata descriptions in
a mobile-optimized way
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Editing_descriptions_from_Wikipedia_Android_app>.
As far as annual plan, we are still working on a draft for community review
and I don't want to make any statements that might be proven wrong, but
it's definitely under consideration.