On 14-Sep-06, at 8:48 PM, Juergen Schreck wrote:

> Hmmm, but if I use 'this' in lieu of 'self' in my example, I get
> errors that that this.doALotMoreStuff is not a function.

Juergen,

Here's a simpler version of your example:

var myHardWorkingObject = {
     prop : "I'm doing way too much stuff!!!!",
     doALotOfStuff: function () {
         this.doALotMoreStuff();
     },
     doALotMoreStuff: function () {
         alert(this.prop);
     }
}

When you do:
myHardWorkingObject.doALotOfStuff();

'this' is bound the way you expect it to be. If for whatever reason
you do something like:
var shortcut = myHardWorkingObject.doALotOfStuff;

When you do:
shortcut();

'this' will not be bound the way you expect it to be.

Have a closer look at Bob's notes on this:
http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2005/07/06/this-sucks-in-javascript/

Beau