But what about the stuff you left out? the right to property is a
killer, and that is in one of those documents if I remember correctly,
and is the one that has made the rest nothing but a bunch of pretty
words and lovely ideals.
Maybe I'm just cynical as a non-american...
L.

> Good morning!
>
> Any debate on freedoms/basic rights (at least in the US) should keep these
> two source documents in mind:
>
> THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE:
>
>     We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
>     equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
>     unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the
>     pursuit of Happiness.
>     (paragraph 2)
>
> THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
>
>     We the people of the United States, in order to form a more
>     perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility,
>     provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and
>     secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity,
>     do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States
>     of America.
>     (Preamble)
>
> That's all I plan to say on this list...  I'll take on any of you jokers,
> give you the civics lesson you deserve!
>
> Off-list of course!
>
> (BTW, :-) :-)
>
> Oh - how about this:
>
> As a tie in to a controversial MM issue, the Declaration of Independence
> was written by a man who raped slaves.  (There can't be consent when you
> own your partner - Sally Hemings wasn't allowed the "right" to decline.)
>
> Does this fact make that document any less valid?
>
> Do the words have meanings beyond those which the author intended, are there
> emotions or meanings that the writing can evoke, even when coming from an
> "impure" source?
>
> ta-
> DAVE!!! (Robson) AKA Rob Daveson, Davebob, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> http://www.xnet.com/~davebob or Staudacher Fish, whichever works for you.
>
> Tellabs Operations, Inc. / 4951 Indiana Ave. /  Lisle, IL 60532
>
>                 You know, I really like cheese.

Plagarism is necessary. Progress implies it. - Guy Debord,
plagarising Issadore DuCasse.