Well, I guess if you were to get specific, mythologies do change, but the act
of creating mythologies is timeless. And the "extent" to which they actually
"change" is debatable. I tend to think it's the same few tired ideas that keep
coming up, only they always seem to have some new spin on them--making them
appear changed. And, perhaps, that is what you are concerned with in
literature?

> SOME of human nature, yes.  There are some aspects of human nature that
> are timeless - but there are also many aspects which are contingent upon
> the era they're written in.  Anytime society undergoes radical change,
> its literatures/mythologies change in ways which reflect the ways in
> which the society changes.  And no time period has had more radical
> change than the past 100 years.

As far as the last 100 years: technologically speaking, it has been extremely
radical. But, as for meditative & reflecting the essence of humanity, let's
not forget the Age of Reason or the Renaissance. Though I won't kid you, I'd
rather read Celine or Kundera before I'd pick up a book of Shakespeare.

> But, I think you missed my point somewhat, because I would consider

Very possible. I do that a lot.

> Dostoevsky to be a "modern writer" anyway.

Oh, I thought you were saying 20th cent. Dostoy was long gone by the 1900's.

> np:Mogwai, "Christmas Song"

Great song!