If this means anything to anyone, the Pope admitted to the scientific
viability of evolution about...5 years ago, I think. Homeboy basically said
that Christians can't keep on fooling themselves as to the reality of
evolution.
I did a research project on the creation/evolution argument in my
anthropolgy and gealogy courses last year, and from all of the information I
gathered on it, evolution came out to be *so* much the more realistic
option.
Which in no way excludes theistic evolution (the idea that God sparked
evolution and oversees its progress); one can continue believing in the
Bible without having to dismiss all of the scientific evidence that the
earth is probably about 3 billion years old (if memory serves me
correctly..which is doubtful). If you're willing to take parts of the Bible
figuratively, ie, that maybe "7 days" to God is more like...3.5 billion
years...there's really no point in questioning science or religion.
I'm probably far too willing to buy into happy mediums, but theistic
evolution just makes sense to me. And apparently John Paul has no problem
with it, either. Now, on the issue of birth control...