Ok whether it is $6 or $15 is besides the point...  But back to the
point---it's not as if Modest Mouse is a victim to this major label.  Don't
forget they choose to sign with Epic.  Epic did not "screw the general
public", Modest Mouse did.  If, instead of making it a Japanese tour only
release, they also released it on Up Records or Epic in to normal
distribution channels, there would be no issue.  However, Modest Mouse
choose not to.  They are not a victim.

Given that Modest Mouse has chosen for this EP not to be in wide release,
it is no one's right to say "Ok, well I want it anyways, I'll steal it."

And yes, it is possible for this to detract from sales.  How many people
didn't buy the singles comp because they already had all the mp3
files?   There are people, I can guarentee you, who did not buy the singles
comp because they had the files.  I know at least three people personally
who didn't.

It's very important to remember that the band has a large degree of control
here.  Maybe you should be questioning the band rather than the label about
its decisions?

I'm not saying I agree with either side, I simply want to present both
sides because it seems people are too easily following the "big
corporation=evil=I deserve the music" mind set.    No one is protecting the
artistic integrity of a band besides the artist themselves.  To say
otherwise is bullshit.

I know this all sounds quite harsh, and that's not how I intended it.  I
think Russ is a great guy and I like his music, I liked it enough to spend
a lot of time doing a remix of it.  I appreciate what he does, and
personally yes I did download and listen to the mp3s.  But I think the
situation is a lot more complicated than most make it out to be.