From: Matt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 11:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MMouse]: THE DISMEMBERMENT PLAN ! RESPECT IS DUE !

The albums preceding 'Emergency & I' (which are 'The Dismemberment Plan is
terrified' and '!') are mandatory listening for anyone following the modern
era of rock n roll. However, during the time period between ...terrified and
emergency, something magical happend......travis learned to sing !! it
really shows on Emergency....compare standout trax from 'terrified' suchas,
ice of boston, doing the standstill...with anything from emergency, and you
cannot get the same level of pure sincerity. Emergency & I is one of the
most profound albums to come out in the past few years and it will be a
major influence on any significant musician to emerge in the near future. it
seems the d-plan get lumped into the 'emo' category by default. They play
with alot of the bands associated with emo... as already pointed out, but
they cannot definitively be classified as emo. I would go so far as to say
they are in a genre completely of their own making. Songs like 'The City'
with its keyboards swelling into valhalla, and that drum breaking yr back as
you swing yr body in motion with the tingling guitar. And to see them live,
dancing, moving those hips to every pulse pounding beat. travis beckoning
for some brave soul to come up front and breakdance.....ah, dear god, is
there a better band on the planet ? Bringing influences as far ranged as hip
hop to classic r&b to, dare i say, prog rock, the d-plan meld the sincerity
and enthusiam of life into their music and it shows. how can one deny the
power of the d-plan ?!

RESPECT IS DUE
mathhue

p.s.  http://www.dismembermentplan.com