fuck that.
fuck "thanking" bands for their influence.
fuck led zepplin
fuck the beatles.
fuck the rolling stones.
fuck bob dylan.
fuck the velvet underground.

that stuff was original and groundbreaking in it's own time and
that's great, but guess what? i wasn't around then and it sounds
boring now.

issac brock writes better lyrics than lou reed.
pavement writes better hooks than the beatles.
doug martsch is a better guitarist than jimi hendrix.

of course the beatles we're unimaginably ground-breaking when
they first appeared; nothing had been done yet... the possibilities
for innovation where unlimited. but look at modest mouse: 40 years
later, look how far they're pushing the miniscule amount of
uncharted territory they have to work with.

the rolling stones have been making the same fucking album over
and over for 30 years, but no one gives a shit about their new stuff.
is it because mick jagger is getting worse? no, it's because the
dismemberment plans and modest mouses of the world are the
ones making progress now, and what worked 20 or 30 years ago
doesn't cut it today. simply put: it's not as good.

"out with the old and in with the new", that's what I say!