I should have realized that.  I managed to architect a kludge that sets
the cookie but causes a fragment of the HTTP header to appear in the
browser the first time.  For now, I'm content with it.

The next question is, when the cookie expires 2 hours later, the initial
SecurID user/password has long since expired.  How do I cause the module
to force the basic auth dialogs again?

            $r -> note_basic_auth_failure;
            return AUTH_REQUIRED;

Doesn't seem to work.

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Wyman Eric Miles wrote:
>

> > System:
> >
> > Solaris 2.6
> > Apache 1.3.9/mod_perl 1.19/gcc 2.8.1/perl-5.004.04
> >
> > I'm using SecurID to authenticate for an Apache proxy server.  I've
> > written a little perl module that uses a username/tokencode returned by
> > basic auth to validate a user and return a session cookie.  The SecurID
> > auth works fine and I'm able to generate a cookie for the user.
> >
> > The problem is, I can't get the module to return the cookie to the browser
> > before the proxy request is completed.
>
> mod_proxy doesn't look at r->headers_out table, it just passing along the
> headers from the downstream server.

Wyman Miles
Senior Systems Administrator, Rice University, Texas.
(713) 737-5827, e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED], pager:[EMAIL PROTECTED]