No. This is not true. If browser gets 401 in response to request with
user authentication then it pops up the dialog box. And only if user
clicks "Cancel" then it displays the Authentication failed document.

Only if you send 403 then browser will not prompt user for new user
name and password.

At least it works this way with IE and Netscape.

Andrei