On 1 Nov 1999, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> There is no "session ID".  You get one of the above.
>
> HTTP doesn't have "sessions".  It has individual requests.

Indeed there are no "sessions" with HTTP. I did not assume that there is
some magical "session ID" environment variable that Apache provides the
developer. Instead I was expressing a desire for that type of
functionality so that I could develop an application with perl which can
maintain session state with or without cookies. It's impossible for me to
tell my boss that I'm developing an application that will only work with
cookies. I've taken this script on from a previous developer so it's time
consuming to modify it to append a session id to the URI that way.

What I did assume is that someone in the mod_perl community had already
solved the problem with a module - and they did (Apache::StripSession). It
makes sense to handle this in the URI translation phase of the request
loop. And I think that there are still ways to improve upon this concept.
If we want mod_perl to provide us the best possible web development
environment we need to contend with issues like session state without
cookies just as ASP and now JSP have.

thanks,
Trei B.