Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Ian Mahuron wrote:
> > Is it me or are the Linux users having a lot of trouble installing
> > Apache/mod_perl from RPMs?  If there's one thing I learned while running
> > Linux, it was to build everything from source.  This was about three years
> > ago.. so maybe things have gotten better.
> >
> > Anyways.. poor package management was one of my main reasons for moving from
> > Linux to FreeBSD.  The ports tree rocks..  Though I still prefer to build
> > Apache, Bind, and Sendmail up from source... always have.. probably always
> > will.
> >
> > Before posting to the list complaining that mod_perl isn't working right...
> > maybe Linux users should try building Apache/mod_perl from source to make
> > shure the <insert package manager name here> packages aren't broken.
>
> The problem seems to be the packages distributed by Red Hat, and/or the
> stability of DSO. Dave's (and my hacked up) rpm should get around that.
>
> However they're all still subject to limitations on which version of perl
> you can use - thank god most people are now on 5.00503 in new distros.

Sort of.  If you use Red Hat your Perl installation is broken, so
building from source is often problematic.  The best solution, in my
experience, is to either avoid Red Hat altogether or install the bare
minimum Red Hat and compile everything else.

The packages that come with Slackware, Debian, SuSE, and *BSD all work
fine.  I made this point on the DBI list and was roundly shouted down.
Oh well.  At least I'm right :)

-jwb