> I went ahead and compiled my own Apache and mod_perl for Red Hat, but
> was curious if there is a solution for using Embperl with DSO and
> allowing for the modules to be loaded one time.
>
> I thought I had the above working with the default Red Hat 6.0
> Apache/mod_perl, but it was not "permanently" loading the modules. When
> I removed refernece to HTML::Embperl from my startup.pl file I got:
> Undefined subroutine &HTML::Embperl::handler called
>
> Mine is working now, just curious if there is something I could have
> done to keep from compiling my own. (one less step in new server setup
> and testing)

Using Perl module with XS code in a DSO mod_perl, still causes weired
results (see my other mail about DBI). The reason (in short) is that Apache
loads mod_perl, unloads it and loads it a second time, but the dynamic
libraries that are loaded for the XS code, don't get unloaded after the
first load. That causes strange results and could be only avoided if the XS
code libraries _not_ loaded at server startup time. If have created a
workaround (compile mod_perl with PERL_STARTUP_DONE_CHECK=1), this works at
least on NT, but seems not to work in all cases on Unix. Hopefully sometime
I will have some more time to debug this and create a real solution.

Gerald

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925151