Jeffrey:

> There can be no such thing as a shortage of mod_perl programmers.  When
> someone says that they can't find mod_perl people, what they really mean
> is that they can't find mod_perl people for the price they are willing
> to pay.

Well said!  The term for this is "market clearing price", and it
certainly applies in this situation.  There are certain very limited
situations where there truly can be a "shortage", but it only lasts
for a limited amount of time -- the time it takes for a "new generation"
of people to train themselves for the task.  Perhaps 12-18 months?
(i.e.  Take all people who are skilled unix sysadmins and programmers,
with a decent amount of Perl experience as well, and tell them that
they can earn a zillion dollars an hour if only they can become mod_perl
experts.  They all take the year off from work as an investment,
become those experts... and suddenly find that, because everyone did
this, they can only make some fraction of a zillion an hour.  Ah,
market economics. :-) )

I agree with your conclusion, too, that more and better documentation
is the most effective way to increase the supply of skilled mod_perl
people.

Cheers,
Richard

 Richard Dice * Personal 514 816 9568 * Fax 514 816 9569
 Open Source Evangelist, HBE Software * http://www.hbesoftware.com
 ShadNet Creator * http://shadnet.shad.ca/ * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Occasional Writer, HotWired * http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/
     "squeeze the world 'til it's small enough to join us heel to toe"
         - jesus jones