Tim Bunce wrote:

> > I've always thought the "must load Apache::DBI before DBI" thing was a
> > bit weird anyway.  Can't you just make it a flag that DBI looks at
> > that Apache::DBI sets?
>
> The idea was to avoid run-time overhead by setting things up a
> compile time.
>
> I guess I could add something like this:
>
>         DBI->default_connect_method("Apache::DBI::connect");
>
> which Apache::DBI could call, after a "use DBI;", to get itself
> plugged in.

Ew.  That is pegging my wankometer.  Doesn't connect_cached do the same
thing that most of Apache::DBI does?  Why doesn't Apache::DBI just
inherit everything but connect() and disconnect() from DBI?

IMHO Apache::DBI causes more problems than it solves with it's
"transparent" replacement of DBI functions.  Can anyone point to an
example where a subclass of DBI would not do everything that Apache::DBI
does, except without the headaches?

-jwb