> Thanks for all your help. I think there is something different about my
> server too. I have no idea what it might be, but it really does look
> like there's something going on.

I guess it's how your perl was compiled -- your code works for me.

> [Tue Jan 11 09:38:12 2000] [error] Uncaught exception from user code:
>       Can't upgrade that kind of scalar at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-  linux/Apache/Registry.pm line
> 32.
>       Apache::Registry::handler('Apache=SCALAR(0x81a78c8)') called at
> /dev/null line        0
>       eval {...} called at /dev/null line 0

Try to use deja.com -- try to read threads:
http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/dnquery.xp?DBS=2&ST=QS&groups=&QRY=upgrade+that+kind+of+scalar&svcclass=dnserver

> I can't test this with httpsd -x (For the predicatably stupid reason
> that I'm doing development on a "production" box.) The script seems to

You can! Copy your httpd.conf, change the port and paths to logfiles and
execute 'httpd -X -f /path/to/new/config' and access the server thru the
different port.

> One other thought, I run this under regular cgi with "#!/usr/bin/perl
> -wT" (also under mod_perl). Shouldn't that warn of taint problems? (Even
> if PerlTaintCheck is off?) And if so, then this isn't really a tainting
> problem, so why does PerlTaintCheck effect operation of the script?

http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Taint_Mode
PerlTaintCheck has nothing to do with mod_cgi...

I think it's your perl, try to rebuild it. Use another version... what is
the version that you use?

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com