David Harris wrote:

> There are three locking wrappers for DB_File in CPAN right now. Each one
> implements locking differently and has different goals in mind. It is
> therefore worth knowing the difference, so that you can pick the right one
> for your application.

Good summary.  Thanks!  Note that you could also use BerkeleyDB
(interface to version 2 & 3 of Berkeley DB library), which manages its
own locks at a page level using shared memory.  I haven't used this
under load, so I can't vouch for it yet, but it looks like a great
solution for sites that run on one machine.

- Perrin