On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:

> > > There are three locking wrappers for DB_File in CPAN right now. Each one
> > > implements locking differently and has different goals in mind. It is
> > > therefore worth knowing the difference, so that you can pick the right one
> > > for your application.
> >
> > Good summary.  Thanks!  Note that you could also use BerkeleyDB
> > (interface to version 2 & 3 of Berkeley DB library), which manages its
> > own locks at a page level using shared memory.  I haven't used this
> > under load, so I can't vouch for it yet, but it looks like a great
> > solution for sites that run on one machine.
>
> Can you please put more light on this issue? Sounds very interesting. I
> didn't have a chance to use BerkeleyDB, since it claims to be a driver in
> alpha stage.  So is it stable enough, to be used on production machine?

I haven't used it enough to make that call.  If you want to try out the
locking, keep in mind that you have to do some setup work beyond a simple
tie in order to initialize the environment.  My information about its
capabilities is mostly from the Sleepycat Software site.  Check out
http://www.sleepycat.com/featdetail.html#concurrent_write for more.

- Perrin