On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 12:59:13PM +0000, Alan Burlison wrote:
> Can someone please explain why Apache does all the dlclosing and
> dlopening of shared files on startup and a restart?  I can think of no
> reson why this would ever be necessary - why on earth is it done?
>
> Alan Burlison

Probably the biggest reason for dlopen/dlclose on a restart is that the
list of modules in the config file can change on a restart.  The reason
for the reload on startup has something to do with parsing the config
file in the parent and child; it was never adequately explained to me.

The trick would be getting it not to do this without busting up the
module API, which I can actually think of a few ways to do, and in a
way that the Apache Group didn't rigorously object to :)

Dan

|         [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |  |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |