At 06:17 PM 2/4/00 +0200, Stas Bekman wrote:
>The next module is Apache::RegistryNG.
>
>C<Apache::RegistryNG> is the same as C<Apache::Registry>, aside from
>using filename instead of URI for the namespace. It also uses OO
>interface.
>
>   <snip>

>There is no compelling reason to use C<Apache::RegistryNG> over
>C<Apache::Registry>, unless you want to do add or change the
>functionality of the existing I<Registry.pm>.  For example,
>C<Apache::RegistryBB> (Bare-Bones) is another subclass that skips the
>stat() call performed by C<Apache::Registry> on each request.

>One situation where Apache::RegistryNG  may definitely be required  is if
>you are rewriting URLS  (using either mod_rewrite or your own handler)  in
>certain ways.

For instance  if you  have a rewrite rule  of the form XYZ123456.html  ==>
/perl/foo.pl?p1=XYZ&p2=123456
Apache::Registry loses big, as it recompiles foo.pl  for each unique
URL.  We ran into this and were totally baffled  as to why we had no
mod_perl performance boost  until Doug pointed us to RegistryNG, which is
definitely your friend in these circumstances.

- Simon

Simon Rosenthal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Web Systems Architect
Northern Light Technology       222 Third Street, Cambridge MA 02142
Phone:  (617)577-2796  :       URL:  http://www.northernlight.com
"Northern Light - Just what you've been searching for"