Andre Landwehr wrote:

> Hi,
> I made some pages with Embperl, but I don't know Mason. Yesterday
> a friend told me of Mason, but he does not know Embperl very
> well. Now I wonder about the pros and cons of each, not only in
> respect to performance but also general usability, bugs etc.
> What do more experienced web programmers than I am think about
> Embperl or Mason?
> btw: Is the new EmbperlObject somewhat comparable to Mason's
> component model?

Hi Andre,

I am unbiased in that I do not use either, but know about
stuff like this since I wrote my own equivalent to these
web application environments, which will go unnamed ;)

Embperl seems to be more script centric, and Mason seems
more site centric, so mental approaches might differ
between top down vs. bottom up.

I am not meaning to disparage either environment in creating
these very rough generalizations, but I believe that their
respective talents lie in these directions, such that you
might find yourself better enabled creating particular scripts
with Embperl, but in creating a master site of sites, Mason
might make things better.

I can tell you that Embperl is much easier to get going, and
has a very powerful set of objects to work with as well as a
rich syntax.  But the Mason site architecture is very advanced,
and promises other features like a great debugger and
application publisher.

Also, Embperl is a bit faster on startup execution, but this
should not matter on a large complex site.  Both environments
provide expert modularization & caching methodologies with
Mason's component architecture and Embperl's new object and
Execute() routine.

-- Joshua
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA