[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Locke) writes:

>       - store this string into Oracle  (type is LONG)

You really really don't want to be using LONG btw. How large is the data
you're really storing anyways? Oracle can do varchars up to 2k unlike some
other pesky databases.

LONGs have a number of problems, you can't export/import them, you can't
create table as select to copy them to a new table etc. They also allegedly
make your tables slow to access, though I don't know the details. I don't know
if BLOBs are any different though.

I do wonder whether you're making good use of your database to be storing
information as frozen perl data structures. It's flexible but it can't be very
fast and it doesn't buy you the data mining abilities having a database is
good for.

--
greg