I've run into a configuration problem and was wondering if anyone had any
advice.

I need to be able to run the same sets of pages in several different
environments (basically just different environment variables).  The problem
is that once a process is initiated in a certain environment it can't be
changed for the life of the process.  The first stroke to solve this would
say that I need to run several Apache servers each with a slightly different
config file.  Then each environment would run on its own port.

The problem with that solution is that maintaining the servers becomes a
headache.  You have to bounce many different Apache servers everytime
something changes.

With java servlets there is a feature that allows you to specify different
zones within a single Apache server.  Each zone has a unique config file and
so it can deal with the environments that way.  I'm wondering if there's
anything similar for mod_perl?

The only other thing I can think of is to just have several copies of the
same scripts, and then depending on the URI they will be smart enough to
know to set their own environment variables upon initialization.  Apache
would then keep processes separate depending on where the scripts are using
the URI.  But that's sort'f ugly.

anyhow...  thanks for any ideas.

-john.