At 11:49 PM 4/11/00 , Doug MacEachern wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Todd Finney wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to recompile Stronghold with mod_perl, and I've run into a
>> problem that no set of instructions (that I've seen) seem to help with.
 Any
>> assistance/advice/RTFMs would be appreciated.
>>
>> mod_perl 1.21
>> Stronghold 2.42 glibc2.1 build 2412
>> Perl 5.005_03
>>
>> This system has an existing mod_perl enabled httpd that I compiled with no
>> problems.   It is also 1.21, with apache 1.3.9.  I'd rather not poon that
>> instance while creating this one.
>
>with the same Perl version or an older one?

It's the same version of Perl.

>> In file included from mod_perl.h:41,
>>                  from mod_perl.c:60:
>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i686-linux/CORE/perl.h:2546: redefinition of `union
>> semun'
>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i686-linux/CORE/patchlevel.h:41: warning:
>> `local_patches' defined but not use
>
>what kernel/distribution are you using?  this same problem has come up
>with older 2.0.x kernels, i'm told upgrades have cured.

It's a RH6.(mumble) distribution, with a fairly recent SMP kernel.

A couple of days after I posted my last message regarding this, I got it to
compile.  It would appear that the problem was the underscore in the
USE_APACI call in my Makefile.pl line:

perl Makefile.PL APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache-strong/
        APACHE_SRC=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
        DO_HTTPD=1 \
        USE_APACI=1 \
        EVERYTHING=1 \
        PREP_HTTPD=1

The guide seems to waver on the hyphen vs. underscore but this did the trick:

perl Makefile.PL APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
         APACHE_SRC=../../apache-strong/src/  \
        USE-APACI=1 \
        APACI-ARGS=--prefix=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
        DO_HTTPD=1 \
        EVERYTHING=1 \
        PREP_HTTPD=1

In looking at this now, I think that my call to APACI-ARGS is redundant
when used with the APACHE_PREFIX argument.   At any rate, it worked and the
server is performing as advertised.

Thank you very much for getting back to me, Doug.

cheers,
Todd Finney