> >> In file included from mod_perl.h:41,
> >>                  from mod_perl.c:60:
> >> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i686-linux/CORE/perl.h:2546: redefinition of `union
> >> semun'
> >> /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i686-linux/CORE/patchlevel.h:41: warning:
> >> `local_patches' defined but not use
> >
> >what kernel/distribution are you using?  this same problem has come up
> >with older 2.0.x kernels, i'm told upgrades have cured.
>
> It's a RH6.(mumble) distribution, with a fairly recent SMP kernel.
>
> A couple of days after I posted my last message regarding this, I got it to
> compile.  It would appear that the problem was the underscore in the
> USE_APACI call in my Makefile.pl line:
>
> perl Makefile.PL APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache-strong/
>       APACHE_SRC=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
>       DO_HTTPD=1 \
>       USE_APACI=1 \
>       EVERYTHING=1 \
>       PREP_HTTPD=1
>
> The guide seems to waver on the hyphen vs. underscore but this did the trick:
>
> perl Makefile.PL APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
>        APACHE_SRC=../../apache-strong/src/  \
>       USE-APACI=1 \
>       APACI-ARGS=--prefix=/usr/local/apache-strong/ \
>       DO_HTTPD=1 \
>       EVERYTHING=1 \
>       PREP_HTTPD=1

There is no USE-APACI parameter. The correct one is USE_APACI. Since you
have used the wrong name it was just disregarded. Of course in your case
APACHE_PREFIX was the one you needed.

The Guide has it correctly. It's not the hyphen but the underscore. No
tricks this time.

> In looking at this now, I think that my call to APACI-ARGS is redundant
> when used with the APACHE_PREFIX argument.   At any rate, it worked and the
> server is performing as advertised.
>
> Thank you very much for getting back to me, Doug.
>
> cheers,
> Todd Finney

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide http://perl.apache.org/guide/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org