> I guess the problem is that mod_mime implements SetHandler - and I'm not
> convinced it should. If you were given the opportunity to do it all again

understood, but this is how apache is designed, mod_perl is just going
with the flow here.

> I'd suggest it be done as follows:
>
> If a PerlTypeHandler returns OK,  check if
> @{$r->get_handlers('PerlHandler')} is true (i.e. there's a PerlHandler
> waiting in the wings). If so, call $r->handler('perl-script').

so why not just do that in your PerlTypeHandler?  i don't think it's right
for mod_perl to have that logic hardwired in.  the other solution, is to
let mod_mime do it's thang in the type phase, and do your thang in the
fixup phase to override anything mod_mime did that you don't want.